Twin City Union 3, Yakima United 0

(Centralia, WA) The Twin City Union continues to show progress in the inaugural season and took an early lead on the Yakima Union 1-0 at the half. United’s large roster continues to allow Head Coach Sophie Clough room to work pushing her players hard from start to finish and were looking to improve on their 1-3-2 record.

In the 1st half United came out aggressive and played most of the 1st half on Yakima’s side of the field. The 1st real chance for United came in the 10th minute on a shot from Mariah Roggow from outside the box but United keeper Megan Lee knocked it down. 4 minutes later Tianna Helm for United took a shot from 25 yards out but it went wide right.

The next opportunity for Twin City came in the 23rd with Whitney Lowe firing from outside the box but was high and over the top and despite being under fire for most of the first 23 minutes Yakima was holding strong in a scoreless tussle.

United broke through in the 25th minute on a beautiful 25-yard shot, unassisted by Ellie Quercia and the Union took the 1-0 lead into the break.

As the 2nd half began Yakima missed their best chance to score in the whole match when they fast-broke at the whistle to get in the Union box but could not get off a shot on keeper Sunny DeBoer. In fact the back line for Twin City, led by Megahn Ward, Camryn Alhauser and Rose Robbins were dominant from start to finish. DeBoer almost had to leave the game in the 69th minute though when Nikki Velazquez collided with her in the box. DeBoer was down for several minutes but was able to stay in the match and finish with the shut-out.

The Union then put the game away with a pair of late goals. The first was a corner kick from Althauser right on target in the middle of the box and Emma Jantzer timed it perfectly with a beautiful header into the net in the 79th to make it 2-0.

Mariah Roggow who had been close all night would cap the scoring on a break-away and into a 1-on-1 with Lee and as both slid for the ball in the box, Roggow got to it first and deflected the ball off of Lee and into the goal for the unassisted score making 3-0.

Whitney Lowe also had a strong match continually putting on pressure on the United defense and just missed with several shot.

We talked with Coach Clough after the match and she was excited for the girls picking up their 2nd win of the season and 3 big points which moves them into 3rd place. Clough also said she was very pleased with how the team continues to get better each and every outing and expects them to finish strong down the home stretch of their 1st season.

The Twin City Union will be back in action next Saturday at their home field Tiger Stadium in Centralia against the Spokane Shadow, the current 1st place team.


By paulb

WordPress Image Lightbox