Twin City Union 2, Olympic Force 0

(Centralia, WA) The Holiday weekend had an impact on both teams depth as the Force came to play with the bare minimum 11 players and the Union were also down several starters as play began.

Olympic relied on packing the defense tight throughout the 1st half trying to pace themselves while trying to take a few shots down field. The Force had a few chances with corner kicks and a straight on free kick from the 35 but could not tally a 1st half goal.

The Union had several opportunities in the 1st half to get on the board but missed shots and good keeping by DeeDee Walls kept the game scoreless as the game approached the break. one of the best scoring chances was in the 38th minute with Meghan Ward on a long run with a nice cross to Ellie Quercia who headed it on frame but a great save from Walls denied the Union.

It looked the 0-0 tie would hold up until the 44th minute when Quercia booted one low and away from Walls on an assist from Tianna Helm and the Union would go to halftime with a 1-0 lead.

When the 2nd half began the Force made a positional change at keeper moving Walls to forward and installing Maggie Wilson in the box. This move would prove to be a pretty even move as Wilson was also equally tough in denying the Union time and again.

Twin City also came out with several different starters with their 1-0 lead and still dominated offensively firing shot after shot and either missing or Wilson coming up with stunning plays. Wilson got her feet wet quickly off a header attempt by the Union in the 47th and then 3 minutes later Camryn Althauser, who was moved from the back line to forward fired a hard shot also saved by Wilson.

There was another shot flicked over the top of Wilson but missing then in the 68th Althauser boomed a shot where Wilson was fully extended for a beautiful save. The Union’s Whitney Lowe also had several shots where she just missed. Lowe has been shut out the past 3 matches but you get the feeling she is close to exploding, she was a bit frustrated again in this match but never gives up and continues to keep defenses on their toes.

Twin City clearly was dominating this game but still through 79 minutes held only a 1-0 lead. The Force was also dealt another blow late in the game as Walls injured herself, looked like an ankle, and had to come out of the game so with no subs Olympic played down 1 with 10.

The Union would immediately take advantage of the mismatch and would add their 2nd goal late in this half with the same scoring combination of Helm to Quercia who knocked a crossing shot away from Wilson to the far side giving Union the final 2-0 tally.

With the win Twin City surges back into 3rd place with 11 points and a 3-4-2 overall record, leading Yakima and Seattle by 1 point. Twin City is still 11 points behind 2nd place South Sound and 13 behind front runner Spokane while the Force remains in the bottom position with 5 points and their season record falling to 1-7-2.

Our Tommy Lowe of Greene Realty Players of the Game went to Twin City Union’s Ellie Quercia and we had to give give Olympics keepers the shared honor. DeeDee Walls and Maggie Wilson faced 20 shots from TCU and only 2 got past which by the way were both perfect shots and no way either could have saved either shot. Our ProActive Physical Therapy Play of the Game was the 1st Union goal the great assist from Helm to Quercia who knocked it in with a devastating low line drive.

The Union has 3 matches left to play all on the road and Olympic is down to their final 2 games both at their home field one with Yakima and the final is the re-match with Twin City.

Scoring: TC Union; Quercia (2); Assists: Helm (2)

Photo Gallery


By paulb

WordPress Image Lightbox